Going out of the country? East Central Veterinarians’ veterinarians are federally accredited, we can issue travel and acclimation certificates for your healthy pet so they can travel internationally with you.


We understand that your pet is family, and that when you travel, you want them right by your side. Our clinic’s veterinarians are federally accredited so we can issue travel health certificates (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) for your healthy cat, dog, or other animal so that they may travel internationally with you.

Why does my pet need a certificate to travel?

Only pets in good health are permitted to travel by plane or boat. The country you are traveling to may have specific health requirements that must be met before your pet can enter. Certain health requirements may include up-to-date vaccinations, a passing health exam, parasite prevention, etc. Health certificates ensure that your pet is healthy to travel and isn’t susceptible to transferring diseases to other pets or people.

When should I start the process?

Certificate timing varies greatly by country: For example, rabies-free territories such as Australia and New Zealand take six months. We strongly encourage checking the USDA APHIS website as early as possible.

USDA APHIS travel requirements

How can I obtain a international health certificate?

First, you need to determine the destination country and dates of travel.  We will work with you to determine the health certificate requirements based on your travel destination. Since requirements are determined by each country and can change frequently, we suggest you check the current pet travel health requirements for your destination country on the USDA APHIS website.

USDA APHIS travel requirements

We will perform a health exam to determine if your pet has any sign of disease or health risks that could pass along to others while traveling. We will also ensure that your pet has all required vaccinations, parasite prevention, and laboratory testing to travel. Once all requirements are met, we will issue a certificate indicating that your pet has been cleared to travel.